What you might not know about me…
Most people know me as a historical fiction and suspense/thriller author, but I’m also a history geek and road trip lover — especially the back roads of the USA.
I’ve learned so much as I travel throughout the country to do research for my novels that I wanted to share the “extra” information that doesn’t make it into my books. And that’s why Past Lane Travels came to be.
When I say that I do “research,” I may go a little overboard compared to other authors. I like to experience what my characters experience and that means walking in their footsteps… or trying to at least. For instance, I’ve camped with thousands of other “soldiers” at Civil War reenactments, gone target shooting from out of a helicopter, flown with Vietnam veterans in a Huey, and tramped across more battlefields, cemeteries and dirt roads than I can count.
I also love small towns, antique shopping, old hardware stores and just sharing my history and travel discoveries with others.
I hope you enjoy taking a trip into the past with me by tagging along on Past Lane Travels.
Here’s what you’ll find on Past Lane Travels:
- Stories about the culture, history, heritage and traditions of America.
- Insider tips on the most scenic and historic sites to visit on your way to a “touristy” destination or close by.
- Fabulous food that highlights the culture of different regions in the USA.
- Advice and insight on travel gear, hotels and trip planning.
- Destination information and advice.
Some Fun Facts About Me:
- I still heat my home with wood and do most of the splitting myself.
- I LOVE yard sales, thrift stores and antique shops.
- My first career was a veterinary technician at a horse hospital. My second career was a newspaper editor. I also spent 16 years working as a part-time stagehand at a performing arts theater.
- I don’t like wearing shoes.
- The house I currently live in did not have an indoor bathroom when I bought it—only an outhouse. (But it has indoor plumbing now)!